Hi Mark (fellow modellers and lazy lurkers) I'm curious too.
The canopy was optional,included in the kit is a jig to help hold styrene rods so you can assemble the “trusses” of the canopy.
It had to be scratch built
(I'm not crazy about that) and i didn’t have the dimensions of the canopy
I measured the height of the canopy with the help of these photo,it is exactly above the pipe.
I measured (quessed) the space between the “trusses” using this photo from the instructions of the model.
With the jig i made 6 of these “trusses” and then glued the rod between them.
It looked good,from above
but seen from the side,the last two were uneven.
I carefully removed these two “trusses”,sanded all the parts and glued it again and then,”a moment” later
I bumped it against a glass and exactly the last two broke down again.
That was just the beginning of the problems.
The cover of the canopy,at first i didn't know exactly what to use,tried it with a sheet of paper,cut it in the right size (several times
) and glued it (very carefully) had to succeed immediately,otherwise i would ruin everything.
You can't just "glue it" on top of the framework,so i thought of something like this :
Took a needle and thread (and glue) and this is the result.
Didn't like it very much,but nevertheless,can not change it anymore and continued on the other side.
It looked terrible,too much thread
it had to be changed,removed (very carefully again) half of all the thread,that was much better and you did not see the damage/the holes.
Then the last stage,the horizontal rods,the plan was,glue a rod on one side,"drill" a hole
turning it between my fingers (i had nothing else) check the hole with a piece of rod,then check it with the canopy and then continue with a rod on the other side,etc,etc.
This work was really frustrating,it reminded me of the time when i was a little kid,building one of my first models,an oldtimer.
At a certain moment,it did not work,the components did not fit and suddenly the car changed in an aeroplane and crashed against the wall.
I haven't glued 12 rods but almost 25,while checking,it is so fragile,sometimes one or more rods broke down again.(were stuck in the hole)
So it took me a couple of days to complete this.
Yesterday,i received my Vietnam magazine
and read the story about the most decorated enlisted sailor in Navy history,James Elliott "Willie" Williams.
Everyone who is interested in the riverine forces in Vietnam should read this. http://navylog.navymemorial.org/williams-james-12