Nice work Nick.
I finished mine so this post will be a bit lengthy.
The first thing you may notice is a different main gun. I decided to drop the 122mm gun in favor of a 115 U-5TS gun from the T-62. The 122mm gun I was using is a WW2 gun and it looked dated. In addition, this armored vehicle shifted from the assault role, to the tank killer role.
I wanted to add both the big IR/white light spotlight as well as the laser rangefinder. I had to rig up a mount over the gun similar to that of the ASU-85. To mount both, I had to place them side-by-side. I would have preferred to use a KTD-2 unit but I didn't have one.
I added styrene strips to the kit's molded on mount brackets for the rear fuel drums. This is an easy addition that really adds a good bit of detail with little effort.
The black vertical lines on the rear casemate plate are guides for the weld beads. I made these using a fine grind bit on a motor tool and ran it along the ink lines. It gives a weld bead look. It's a bit more subtle.
Another view. I'll add...I think I missed mentioning in the last update...I did add handles and latch mechanisms for the two-piece hatch. The other hatch has it as well but it's closed.
Plumbing added to the dozer blade. And another view of the spotlight and range finder setup.
Casemate roof. The purple ink marks note bolts to hold the roof on. I have these running along the edge of the roof as well as running across the middle. There is also a weld bead on the bullet splash for the miniturret. That open spot left of the ventilator was where I had planned to place engineering tools. I changed my mind and ended up leaving it empty.
I went with an overall field green color. I was going to go with a dark green and field green scheme but decided to keep it simple.
I did remove the Easter German insignia from the mini-turret before I painted. I drybrushed, added a wash, and dusted it.
The tracks are rubberband type. I was goignt o hide the lack of sag with side skirts but I didn't like how they changed the look of the vehicle. I glued them down to give them some sag.
Decals were bare minimum...just vehicle numbers. In the photos the number decals do catch the light, revealing their edges. In real life, this doesn't show. I added a tow cable and detail painted where needed.
The crewmen are Tamiya's WW2 crew. They just seemed a perfect fit for it.
The dozer blad got dabs of filler putty to give it dirt texture. The edge areas are painted light earth. I'm colorblind and the light earth and field green look similar to me.
And I think that's it for this build. I did enjoy this build and I feel like I learned some things. I'll add a couple of pictures to the Gallery in a day or two. If there are any fixes needed, I'll take a couple of new pictures and use those.
I'm enjoying watching the rest of the builds...maybe I will do a second build.