Sorry again for a long time between updates. Had some time to think about the issue about the seat belts, mesh behind seats, and the AC unit.
Let’s start with the seat belts. I was going to buy some Verlinden photo etch seat belts, but because of the style of belts the MAXXPRO has, I was going to need 3 sets of them. So, I went ahead and tried to scratch build the buckles out of very thin plastic sheet and Tamiya tape for the belts. I really don’t like how they turned out, but with the vehicle all closed and just the doors and hatches open, they look ok.
Next was the issue of the mesh behind the seats. The mesh is attached to a rope and ratchet strap system. Neither the ratchet system or the mesh is in the Panda kit. While researching for this build, I did find two pictures that helped in the decision of the mesh. In both these pictures, the mesh and rope/ratchet system are not present. Also notice that in one of the pictures is a whole different seat it has head rest.
So, I decided not to try and replicate the mesh and rope/ratchet system.
Last big issue was the AC unit that is located right behind the passenger seat on the right. In the DASH DXM, the AC unit has a lower profile and the Power Converter, that is usually stored in a side bin, is now located on top of the AC unit as in this picture.
Also notice the air duct system. In the original MaxxPro, it was just on duct that was located between the front of the cab and the rear compartment. In the DASH DXM, the is two separate ducts, one to the front cab, and one to the rear compartment.
Creating the duct system and AC unit would have been no problem with plastic stock, but because this is a review and I wanted to complete this in the time frame that is in the review rules, I decided not to. One more thing that is/was missing from this kit that is noticeable from reference pictures, is the fire extinguishers that is located in the rear right of the vehicle. These fire extinguishers are part of the fire suppression system. Again, this can be replicated by using plastic stock or spare extinguishers from other kits.
On to an addition and continuation to my Comm’s tutorial. I did wire up the main control unit for the DUKE anti-IED system. The remote-control box will be wired up and added later, but only because the attachment points for it, along with the FBCB 2 screen and fire suppression box, is located right under the front windows and that is part of the main upper hull.
The kit also provides the antenna for the Symphony anti-IED system.
But like the DUKE system, no control box is provided. There are two versions of control units that I found on the internet…
And here you can see the 2nd symphony unit I showed in the rack of a MAXXPRO DASH.
In the next update will be completed and painted pictures of the interior of the vehicle. I hope to have the inside of the upper hull of the interior completed as well.