login   |    register
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Hosted by Kevin Brant
WnW FE.2b
Scrodes
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Member Since: July 22, 2012
entire network: 735 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 - 11:56 AM UTC
Wow Chris, that sure is pretty! Bravo.
PanzerLehr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Member Since: February 11, 2009
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2018 - 10:13 AM UTC
Thank you. The kit gives you the tubes in plastic...but as said before they are a pain to drill out. The tubing works great but it is still pretty tight getting 6 wires into each of the tubes then running them to the magnetos.
phantom_phanatic309
#372
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Member Since: March 10, 2010
entire network: 2,010 Posts
KitMaker Network: 105 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 10:44 AM UTC
Thanks. I also like your idea of using brass tubing for the ignition tubes. That will certainly make it easier getting wire bundles to the magnetos. I think that was where I was going wrong on my Rumplers engine. The kit supplied tubes are impossible to drill out or glue them to!
Will give that a go.
RussellE
#306
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Member Since: June 27, 2010
entire network: 2,143 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 12:09 AM UTC
Chris I've always wanted to follow along on a WnW's build so I'm following along with interest!

All caught up on your progress so far! That engine looks amazing!
PanzerLehr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Member Since: February 11, 2009
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 09:27 AM UTC
Thank you to both! The plug wires are just copper wire from an old mobile phone charging cord. Twisted to a tight uniform appearance then bent to give a natural look then cut to length. I then added ends I made from Albion Alloys brass micro tubing cut to !mm in length. I then flattened one end the drilled a hole so it will fit over top of the spark plug.
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Member Since: May 14, 2007
entire network: 3,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 204 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 06:02 AM UTC
Wow. The engine looks great. I wouldn't worry about twisted wires and people complaining. Everything just looks right.
phantom_phanatic309
#372
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Member Since: March 10, 2010
entire network: 2,010 Posts
KitMaker Network: 105 Posts
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 - 07:03 PM UTC
That is incredible work!
Would love to know you did the wiring, it's one thing I still can't work out how to do. My attempt was a messy disaster.
PanzerLehr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Member Since: February 11, 2009
entire network: 192 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 04:04 AM UTC
Hello,

As I am nearing the finish on my WnW Bristol F.2b I decided to start on the engine for my WnW FE.2b





I know some people will say that spark plug wires shouldn’t be twisted like I have as they are high voltage.....but I like the texture it give me after they are painted.

The next pictures are of the completed engine. 2 weeks after the start of assembly.