login   |    register
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive criticism forum moderated by Scott Murphy.
Hosted by Kevin Brant
Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4 (Revell 1:144)
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Member Since: October 17, 2008
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2020 - 03:08 AM UTC
Just completed!

This kit is quite nice and parts fit is almost perfect. A joy!








I hope you like it.

Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Member Since: October 17, 2008
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 02, 2020 - 11:40 PM UTC
Quick update with this weekend's work.

While I was painting the ordnance, a member of another forum called my attention to the fact that the bombs were very long.
Indeed, while I took all measurements from Eduard drawings while turning the brass body, I cut the plastic bomb parts along panel lines (a bit mistake as it resulted in a very long tail section). So after snapping all the tail section, I cut around 1.5mm and reattach them.





Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Member Since: October 17, 2008
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 12:06 PM UTC

Here are some photos, showing the use of the jig to glue the missile wings.



The ordnance is all completed!


Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
phantom_phanatic309
#372
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Member Since: March 10, 2010
entire network: 2,328 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 09:23 AM UTC
Marco,

Amazing work! Especially turning 6 identical bombs.

Looking forward to seeing the finished model.
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Member Since: October 17, 2008
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 - 11:55 PM UTC
A quick update (scratch building two ASRAAMs).

Eduard drawings were used (again) as reference for the ASRAAMs. Calculations were done to figure out the 1:144 scale dimensions and the body of the missiles was made out of 1mm PS rod (Evergreen), using files and fine emery paper to shape them.

To glue to wings in place (I still need to make them), I've made a jig, using a scrap piece of balsa wood, cutting a 1mm slot (almost 0.5 mm deep), allowing two wings to be glued at a perfect 180º without much trouble.



I hope to complete them this evening.

Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Member Since: October 17, 2008
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2020 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I just built my first 1/144 model in a long time.



What model were you using?

Quick update, with the work I manage to do this weekend.

All decals are applied to the airframe.


After turning the 6 bomb center sections, two attachment points were drilled.


And after gluing them to the plastic parts, the bombs were completed.


Dry-fitting them to the airframe.



Next step will be to replace the AIM-120B (the ones in the kit are not that great) and scratch build 2 ASRAAMs.

Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
#051
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Member Since: December 21, 2002
entire network: 7,544 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 - 02:45 PM UTC
Marco,

Wonderful work. I just built my first 1/144 model in a long time. You are skilled with this small scale.
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Member Since: October 17, 2008
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 - 11:03 AM UTC
Here is a video I made, showing the conversion process:

https://youtu.be/mD1hzKuqqAI

Cheers

Marco Preto

http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Member Since: October 17, 2008
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2020 - 02:30 AM UTC
Progressing slowly!

Here's a photo of the first bomb conversion (using revell's GBU-16 to make a Paveway II Mk.13/18 used by the RAF).



Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Member Since: October 17, 2008
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2020 - 11:14 PM UTC
Happy New Year!

Here's a quick update!

There are lots of small decals on this one!


I still have to apply a few decals. Some of the already applied ones show some silvering; I'll solve it using the same trick I've used on the F-16C Barack, using Tamiya extra thin glue (you can check it on my blog).



Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com
marcopreto
Visit this Community
Portugal
Member Since: October 17, 2008
entire network: 73 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 29, 2019 - 11:18 PM UTC
Here are a few photos of the model presently at my bench. I am building a Eurofighter Typhoon FGR4, using Revell's kit (1:144).

This is the photo that provided the inspiration for this build:


The model is almost trouble free and is being built using a few bits from the spare box and scratch built items.









I hope to post more soon.

All the best for 2020.
Cheers

Marco Preto
http://mpminiatures.wordpress.com