1⁄35Steve Andrew's iMech 1/35 Rook
Steve Andrews wrote about his building and painting journey in his Rook post...
Building:"I've been adding a few scratchbuilt items and raiding my spare box to add a few additional details - hence the Mk1a designation. The main work has been to replace the gattling gun - which to my eye looks too twentieth century - with something a little more in keeping with the heavy metal feel I'm after.
"I used a mix of glue; superglue to hold the parts firm while an epoxy resin set to really make a durable and less brittle bond. I chose not to have the legs moveable - I don't think they'd hold the weight that way. She'd end up looking like a squashed spider. So far the two glue approach seems to have worked and I'm being careful when I handle it. Even so, there is a very small but visible sag when I place the body on the legs.
"The rest goes together well and the only real issue I had was with some very heavy seam lines. They took a lot of sanding to remove and even now have left a few scars.
"The head isn't moveable unfortunately. It attaches to the top of the 'neck' via a flat round join. I guess you could reposition it if you were prepared to do some scratchbuilding and/or a fair amount of carving. I'm going to work with what there is and have it looking down at something almost in front of it.
Painting:"The black undercoat already gives it a mean alien-like quality to my eye, so I've decided on a dark monotone finish. I had planned to put on a variety of tones but I decided that the upper body needs some good masking to really make the modulation stand out, so it was a coat of dark grey over the black and then a lighter grey on the outer armoured portions of the legs for now.
"I used colours and patterns that I hope give it an alien feel. I'm trying to make it look otherworldly rather than like its been painted.
"The weapon has been highlighted in an electric blue as the first stage of giving the feel of something that has discharged lot. Again I'm trying to avoid the look of current weapons and create a futuristic/alien feel.
"I've been adding some markings. I wanted brighter colours to contrast with all that grey, and a simple broken geometric pattern. To create the marking I masked off areas of the basecoat with Tamiya masking tape cut into strips. Then I applied several layers of red and orange, the final layer had white added to give it less opacity. After several coats the masking come off and voila.
"I have been highlighting details and adding chipping to the legs. The chipping will be the classic two-part chip effect. The chipping was done with Vallejo acrylics and the wash was applied with oils. Next will be chipping around the feet, and a general enhancing of the modulation using more oils.
"I've been weathering it using oils, adding streaks and dust and generally dirtying it up. The final phase will be to paint the engine nozzles. I'll give these a metallic finish and then weather them a bit - like the jets on a fighter plane. Then it will be one final dust over with pastels."
More photos of Steve's build could be found here:
The post of Steve's build could be found here: