I thought I had posted an update earlier...but I was wrong. For a refresher, I'm doing the Trumpeter Germanized KV-2.
The original idea was to backdate this to a Soviet vehicle. All they had in stock, at the time, was the Germanized version. Things don't go as planned.
Start off with the lower hull. The molds look to be showing wear and the side plates needed cleanup to remove ejection marks so it would sit flush with the hull sidewalls.
Added suspension arms, suspension stops, and return roller mounts.
In keeping with the backdate plan, I went ahead and prepainted the lower hull and running gear dark green.
Upper-hull added. Here is where the plans began to change. I thought about going with a what-if vehicle. Initially, I was going to arm it with a 122mm gun. Then I thought about cutting the upper hull to move the turret ring to the rear and move the engine mid-hull. The mock-up looks pretty sweet. In the end I decided to back off of that idea and just pick up a Soviet version later...you can get these kits for under $20.
Time to start on the turret. I kind of buzzed ahead here on the build pics. Assembly was pretty straightforward.
Back to work on the hull. Assembled and dry-fitted the fenders. I decided to open the hull hatch.
The kit has you make your own conduit for the German lights using wire tat they do not include. They include some decent diagrams. I decided to use stretched sprue.
Round rack for the rear deck. Assembly of the rack was a little fiddly. I thought I had a picture of it assembled....
Basic assembly done and off to paint. Since it was already partially painted green, I decided to use it as a base coat and painted it overall dark green. The white splotch is filler...I forgot to fill in a hole. As an aside, alot of the German specific changes (open/closing holes) aren't really addressed in the instructions.
I was not sure what paint scheme I wanted to go with. In the end I decided to go with a winter camo scheme. I've seen some white KV2s and they looked pretty nice. So white it is.
Tracks. The kit comes with length&link as well as rubberband tracks. I've never used the rubber band tracks. The track lengths go together well and the top runs are molded pre-sagged.
While the tracks set up and dried (overnight), I did some initial drybrushing of German Grey to represent an overall dark grey paint job underneath, poking through.
Tracks set-up...I shot a coat of dark-dark grey. Let them sit outside to dry under the sun. Yeah this was done earlier today. Drybrushed steel over tracks. Put back outside for a couple of hours. The steel surfaces of the roadwheels were painted dark grey, to cover the dark green, then steel. For the return rollers' "rubber" I used dark grey as well.
Once the tracks had dried to the touch I decided to go ahead and mount the tracks. I got on a roll and before I knew it, I was applying decal set to the decals.
I had added the tracks and fenders. The extra indie lengths were assembled and added to the front plate.
There's still some other work left to be done...plus I see a few bugaboos I need to address in the pictures. I'll do that i the next update and it should be done. This is the 3rd Trumpy KV I've built. Nothing really jumped out as an issue. I started on this a couple of months ago...whenever the start picture was posted...but really got alot done over the past few days.