login   |    register
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Finally got pictures of Up Front!
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Member Since: October 08, 2002
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC
I was able to borrow the camera yesterday, and get the pics on to the computer this morning. Here are a couple of shots of the dio. Not really pretty, but I have learned a lot doing this. The picskind of washed out the details and shading a bit, but it's the only setup I had available. If I get better pictures later I will post them.

FAUST
#130
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Member Since: June 07, 2002
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
Ola Daveman

Well I`m really curious about the picture but you forgot to add it.

DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Member Since: October 08, 2002
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 10:17 AM UTC
I'm trying to get it from the gallery right now. But, it isn't appearing in the gallery. I retried loading it, and now I get an error message. I'm working on this right now...My first time doing pics.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Member Since: July 19, 2003
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC
Awesome job! "I'll never splash mud on a dogface again (999), I'll never splash mud on a dogface again (1000). Awright, will ya help us out of the mud now?" I love it. I'll get the awards A.S.A.P. Thanks for your time, and doing this campaign.
DaveMan
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Member Since: October 08, 2002
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC
Thanks,
I had a lot of fun and frustration with this one. I never knew how hard figures really were, and this dio had seven of them. I used a stack of leftover figure parts I got for free, since I knew that I would be cutting them up and trying to pose them. I went through about twice as many parts as I actually used before I got the hang of things. I still could make them a lot better. I also had to learn how to shade and paint eyes. (My driver is really Marty Feldman, and the guy in the back row is lovingly known as "Uncle Fester") It won't win any contests, but it was a huge learning experience.

Now that this is over, I am going to take the rest of the leftover figure parts and keep practicing. I need to get better at making them look relaxed and natural. (These guys look like men's clothing models) A long time ago, I did a few resin figures to go with my automotive models in 1/25 scale, but I just painted them, and stood them next to cars. I haven't tried anything this detailed with them since I was a kid, and that was total disaster. (I don't think I ever did 1/35 figures before)

I also need to muddy up the Jeep a bit, and find a better way to do the surface. Mud isn't really flat unless it is dried. Maybe some Future on the ruts, and a mix of flat and gloss clear on the rest of it. I did a light weathering job on the Jeep, but it was too light. I should probably totally slop the guy standing next to the driver with mud too, as that would help tell the story a bit better.

I always try to do a self critique after a project like this. This time, I cut myself a lot of slack, because this is out of my normal scales, and different than any other type of modeling I have done. I gained a lot of experience from the project. Now that I have tried a 1/35 dio, I will probably do another some time, just to practice the new techniques I have learned.

Thanks for hosting this campaign, and for the effort it took to let us play with toys and get recognized for it. This was a great idea for a campaign.