login   |    register
Campaigns: OP Canuck Steel
Topics on this group build.
Hosted by Richard S.
Almost done
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Member Since: September 30, 2004
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 08:40 AM UTC
HI

Just a few add-ons and detail painting on these two:




Still lots to do on this one ...



Grrrr these are not as strak/contrasty as they appear and the rust not as blood red ..

T
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
Member Since: February 22, 2002
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:19 AM UTC
Nice job on the camo. Couple of thoughts, I'd like to see more of the dusty color that is around the crane down lower on the first one. The second one is pretty cool all around. How are you going to get the tracks on the third one? I'm not a fan of the cover on the back, as of now it looks to 'plastic'. I'd give it a few washes in the folds, and some extra pastels to wrap it up.
I know you're not done yet so take my comments as suggestions in the home streatch.
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Member Since: September 30, 2004
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hi

Thanks for the comments.

Yaaa that is something I have been working with regarding a nice overall dusty feel. I have been using very diluted buff washes (yes washes, I am old fashioned) in order to bring a dusty look but I have just picked up some 'ments, so I will try those and see.

The 577 does look good in person and the colours not as blotchy. Having toiled around the real beasties for many years, I was trying to replicate a weather beaten, hand-draulically painted track.

Yea, the 548 is just in its first coat of paint and still needs some weathering. Agree 100% about the rear tarp. Thinking I will repaint in a darker green and then do a few drybrushes. Or I may cover it in tissue paper first in order to get that tarpy feel ..hmm The skirts are just tacked on. I stopped because I was waitting for some Diehl tracks and sprockets.

Thanks again for your ideas.

Tom
DODGE01RT
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Member Since: February 09, 2004
entire network: 545 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 08:40 AM UTC
Logan,I know that fitter. :-) Its the repainted one I did.Looks good as do all three.
One question,where did you get the updated gen. for the 577?
Again nice work!
Jim
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Member Since: September 30, 2004
entire network: 523 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 08:51 AM UTC
HI

LOL small world :-)

Thanks for the comments.

That FITTER was a real tonic for me. I had almost come to a complete halt in building due to AMS. I decided to do it OOTB and with just a FEW minor upgrades, was done in just that way :-)

The genny on the 577 is scratchbuilt.... It is not perfect esp with the size of some of the detail items but since I live in small town northern Ont (really should fix my profile) styrene is hard to come by.

Looking fwd to getting some proper lighting in the hopes that I can capture the true finish of the kits.

Tom
JP_Morgan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Member Since: July 20, 2003
entire network: 34 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not a fan of the cover on the back, as of now it looks to 'plastic'. I'd give it a few washes in the folds, and some extra pastels to wrap it up.



Ironically, most of the M548 tarps I've seen (Cdn, US, German, etc) are a type of rubberized tarp that is meant to be more robust, waterproof, chem resistant, etc., and in fact have a higher sheen than the CARC paint of the vehicle body. This is tough to pull off and have it believable, I think. Also, most tarps and tentage in the Canadian Forces is of this same rubberized or plasticlike material, and it's been that way for 10 years or so. Prior to that, there was a 10-15 yr period where older canvas tarps and tentage were being phased out in favour of this newer material, and a mixture of materials was common.

Since this is a shot of Tom's Duck just after cam painting and prior to any weathering, I''m sure it will work out very well in the end.